Sundance State Bank has been serving northeastern Wyoming since 1895, when John W. Rogers, later joined by J.G. Bush, opened for business in downtown Sundance. The bank became known as Rogers and Bush Bankers. After 120 years, it remains a locally owned, family business that is dedicated to serving the financial needs of the community.
- 1905 - The name was changed to Sundance State Bank, after receiving a corporate charter from the state. It’s believed to be Wyoming’s oldest state charter.
- 1914 - Sundance State Bank moved into the newly built two-story sandstone structure at Third and Main streets, the bank’s home for the next 65 years.
- 1921 - Harry P. Ilsley and Henry G. Weare bought shares from Rogers and Bush. Mr. Ilsley served as President from 1922 until his death in 1953.
- 1928 - Jay H. Durfee joined the bank as Cashier. He held that position until 1966 when he became President, a position he held until his death in 1977.
- 1934 - With the nation in the depths of the Great Depression, Mr. Ilsley and Mr. Durfee pledged all of their bank stock and injected $12,500 in additional capital to receive a $25,000 loan from the Reconstruction Finance Company. The bank was saved.
- 1977 - Richard H. Durfee, Jay H. Durfee’s son, became President. He had been with the bank since 1953, and served as President until his death on January 1, 1983.
- 1979 - After 65 years at Third and Main, the bank relocated to a new building at Second and Main.
- 1983 - Frank Blakeman became President, and served until his retirement on Jan. 1, 1987.
- 1987 - James R. Durfee (Jay H. Durfee’s grandson) became President. He had been with the bank full time since 1980.
- 2012 - The bank was remodeled and expanded.
Members of the current board of directors, which has remained the same since 1998, are James R. Durfee, Trudy M. Durfee (Board Chairman and bank Vice President), Dolly A. Schloredt, Robert Yemington and Dennis Williams.